Assassin’s Creed Origins was released in 2017 to critical acclaim, but it wasn’t without its issues. At the time, it was the most ambitious game in Ubisoft’s flagship series, boasting a gargantuan open world and more activities than we’d ever seen in an Assassin’s Creed game. However, it did have some bugs that – at times – could prevent progress. In this guide, we’re addressing those issues and answering an all-important question: ‘Why does Assassin’s Creed Origins keep crashing?’
There can be many reasons why any game crashes and it all depends on your platform of choice, your setup, and how you play the game. For instance, if you’re playing on a PC, it could be a hardware limitation, and if you’re playing on a PlayStation, it could be a problem with an overheating console. Or, it could be the most common reason, and that’s the fact that something in the game’s code is inherently broken.
So, why does Assassin’s Creed Origins keep crashing, and what can you do to fix it?
How to Fix Assassin’s Creed Origins Crash
There are no ‘perfect games’ in the world, and almost all of them will experience some kind of bug, glitch, or crashing problem at some point. It’s the nature of technology, and it’s why many companies work with a ‘continual improvement’ model. This means that they can’t launch a perfect product, but they can work to constantly improve it over time. That’s the same for Assassin’s Creed Origins, which despite being released in 2017 is still being updated today by Ubisoft.
Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean that there won’t ever be any crashes in the game. If you’re wondering how to fix an Assassin’s Creed Origins crash on PC, you can try looking at the following solutions:
- Install the latest update, which can be done by navigating to your launcher (probably Ubisoft Connect) and ‘checking for updates’.
- Switch to Windowed Mode, which is a common fix for Ubisoft games that are constantly crashing. This can be done in the game’s main menu before entering the game itself.
- Roll back your graphics card driver, which is typically one of the first places PC gamers will look to resolve a crashing issue.
- Alternatively, update your graphics card driver – if you can’t go back, then go forward, and see if that introduces a resolution.
- If nothing else works, consider totally reinstalling the game.
If you’re wondering why Assassin’s Creed Origins keeps crashing on a console-based platform, there are still plenty of things that can be done to tackle the problem.
- Again, check for system updates, in case you don’t have them automatically enabled.
- Reset the console, making sure to perform a ‘power cycle’ process.
- If you’re on PlayStation, you can ‘rebuild the database’.
- If nothing else works, then consider totally reinstalling Assassin’s Creed Origins
Read More: All Assassin's Creed Games in Order
Fix The Assassin’s Creed Origins Crash Underwater
This long-standing issue has been a thorn in the side of Assassin’s Creed Origins gamers for the longest time. There is a problem on PC-based platforms where Assassin’s Creed Origins will crash whenever the player attempts to dive into any body of water – particularly in the opening area of the game, in Siwa.
To this day, it’s an open issue at Ubisoft, and it seems that some players experience this bug, while others have a perfectly fine and stable experience. It looks as though little research has been done to suggest what could fix the Assassin’s Creed Origins crash underwater, but it may be tied to Nvidia graphics drivers. So, try rolling back or updating your graphics drivers, and you may have more luck circumnavigating this game-breaking bug.
And it certainly is game-breaking. If you can’t dive underwater, there are some early missions that you simply cannot complete, which means you cannot progress at all past the opening sequences. Sadly, at the time of publishing, we’re seeing players asking how to fix this bug online within the last two or three days – so it’s very, very current.
Read More: The Most Memorable Assassin’s Creed Quotes
That’s how to fix Assassin’s Creed Origins crashes – but we hope that you won’t experience any in the first place. For more of the latest Assassin’s Creed news, be sure to stop by the rest of the site.